Module 3 Cells, Homework 6
Use this paper version to come up with the answers, but submit HW6 online for credit.
3. The only organelle large enough for us to be able to routinely see it under the microscope (if
we add color contrast).
8. The process of fate determination of a cell. differentiation
9. The cell ___ describes the steps needed for any cell to prepare for and go through a cell
division. It is important to understand to control cell division so that we could potentially
control the out-of-control cell division of cancer.
10. The membrane around the nucleus is structurally this.
11. This end of the Golgi body is where vesicles fall off to be sent to their final destination.
12. One gene makes one mRNA which makes one ___ . polypeptide
17. After a vesicle leaves the rER it goes to this side of the Golgi body.
18. All shape and movement of a cell is due to this.
19. Once made, a protein often has to be modified and then shipped off to its final cellular
destination. The organelle that can do the modification and package the protein into vesicles
for shipping is this one, which is often called either a body or an apparatus or a complex.
22. DNA is typically found in this configuration in a nucleus.
23. The type of an organelle that is involved in making proteins that will be inserted into the
membrane or secreted.
24. The system of internal membranes within a cell.
1. Materials get moved around inside a cell in this membranous structure.
2. If you are looking for destructive hydrolytic enzymes, look inside this organelle.
4. This organelle is essential for making lipids or carbohydrates.
5. The term for all the fluid inside the cell with its dissolved solutes in it.
6. Every single protein made in a cell is made on this.
7. Some chemical reactions lead to free radicals that need to be taken care of. This organelle
can neutralize such dangers.
9. Everything inside the cell except for the nucleus.
13. The nucleus has this to enable materials to come and go from it.
14. A dynamic cytoskeleton component, this enables cilia to move and creates the roadways
within the cell that vesicles use to get where they need to go.
15. A major protein of the cytoskeleton.
16. A cell not only has a particular shape (that can change) but it can also withstand forces and
pressures on it due to its cytoskeleton. The function of the cytoskeleton to provide such
resistance to impact is this.
20. A cell without a determined fate that divides and makes more cells that can take on needed
21. The main molecular component of ribosomes.