Module 10: DNA Analysis and Blood Typing
Module 10 examines the science of blood and physiological evidence in terms of its genetic makeup and its value and use in forensics. The module covers the historical perspectives of genetic research and how it evolved to its use in the courtroom. The module also covers the DNA technologies, how much it has advanced, and the different tests that are used to link the blood and/or other bodily fluids of a suspect to a victim and crime scene.
1. Understand what DNA is, including its structure and its functions
2. Explain where DNA is found in the body
3. Describe how DNA technologies developed including RFLP and STRs
4. Summarize what the PCR is and how its importance in biological research and forensic DNA analysis
5. Understand the current DNA methods, how they work, and how DNA typing individualizes biological specimens
6. Identify the DNA databases and databanks that are available to assist in forensics
8. Summarize the strengths and limitations of DNA technology and how they relate to the media hype and the ultimate potential.
Address the following learning activities for successful completion of this module:
- Read Chapter 10 (pp. 242 – 267).
- Review the Power Points for Chapter 10.
- Complete the following writing assignments:Part A.) Answer the following Review Questions (short answer) on page 268 (worth up to 10 points): 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (Note: Q. 2 takes more than just one or two sentences to answer—see additional resources below).
Additional Resources for answering Q. 2:
What is DNA?
Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA)
National Human Genome Research institute
Part B.) Answer the Fill-in-the-Blank & Multiple-choice Questions 1 through 5 on page 268 (worth up to 10 points).
SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS: Save your work on your computer using a file name that you will remember for the work associated with this module (for example, Module 10). Once you have saved your work to your computer, submit your work to the Assignment Box.
Do you want your assignment written by the best essay experts? Order now, for an amazing discount.