I was told to: (please note this can also be written in report style)
Include the history of state governments attempts to redevelop the area which then spurred community groups.
– Modern day scared site (good term to include)
– Mention land owners prior to British settlement then mention owners after British settlement
– Talk about Redfern Riots
– Indigenous population through out the years and importance of their identity
– importance to reconciliation movement
– How it’s changed through the years – now going through gentrification
It’s pretty much the historical background of the Redfern Local Government Area in Sydney, please include what you feel is relevant.
Some notes so far:
Redfern belongs traditionally to the Gadigal clan, after British settlement the land was named after Dr William Redfern a pardoned convict who was the first surgeon to graduate with a medical diploma in Sydney.
Aboriginal people from rural areas migrated to Redfern in greater numbers during the 1920s, lured by work opportunities at the Eveleigh rail yards, it’s Aboriginal population was believed to be in the thousands in the 1960s, with many employed in local industries. But by the 1970s, the suburb had become ravaged by poverty, substance abuse and violence. Figures from the 2011 Census showed only a few hundred Redfern residents identified as Indigenous.
The area the surrounds the Block has been a meeting place for Aboriginal people for “tens of thousands of years”. In more recent times the area has been a focal point for the reconciliation movement. Referring to a time when many residents were stuck in a vicious cycle of drugs, alcohol and violence, the Block was called “The Blockage”
In early 2010 the last 20 remaining houses on Eveleigh, Vine, Louis and Caroline Streets were demolished to make way for replacement housing, commercial, retail and cultural spaces. This so-called Pemulwuy Project takes its name from the famed Aboriginal warrior.
Because of its significance the Block is regarded by many Aboriginal people as a “modern-day sacred site”
For a custom paper on the above topic, place your order now!
What We Offer:
- On-time delivery guarantee
- PhD-level writers
- Automatic plagiarism check
- 100% money-back guarantee
- 100% Privacy and Confidentiality
- High Quality custom-written papers