ASTRONOMY 001 Unit 2 Homework
1. Right ascension is similar to (latitude or longitude)? Declination is similar to (latitude or longitude)?
2. What are the True and Average Earth rotation and revolution times?
3. If your mass was 60 kg on Earth, what would it be on the moon where gravity was 1/6 as strong as on Earth?
4. If you slam on the brakes, you continue moving forward until your seatbelt catches you. This is an example of: A. Newton’s first law B. Newton’s second law C. Newton’s third law
5. An object accelerates if: A. It’s speed changes B. It’s direction changes C. Either A or B
6. Name of the past, current, and future north star (why are these different?)
7. How many constellations are there in the modern Zodiac (not the one use for astrology)?
Define the following terms:
· Rotation –
· Revolution –
· solar day –
· sidereal day –
· celestial sphere –
· culmination –
· meridian –
· nadir –
· zenith –
· zodiac –
· precession –
· mass –
· weight –
Short Answer / Essay Questions:
[The answer must include all relevant information, yet not include a lot of non-relevant information for full credit. Even though you will be referencing various resources, you need to compose your answer primarily in your own words. A completely (or heavily) copied response will also result in a deduction of points. A good rule of thumb would be to attempt to explain the question to a peer who has not taken your astronomy class.]
Answer in AT LEAST 5-7 complete sentences for full credit.
8. Explain the main reason we have seasons. Make sure to include definitions (where applicable) for full credit. You may sketch a picture to help you answer the question (just make sure to describe the sketch).
9. Why is a solar day longer than a sidereal day? You will need to include definitions and describe processes for full credit.
10. How is astrology affected by precession? You will need to include definitions and describe processes for full credit.