Astron 001 Homework Unit 1
- What is the role of the study of astronomy (You may need your text for this one.)?
- Once a scientist comes up with a hypothesis, it automatically becomes a law, and never changes. True or False?
- When you look at Proxima Centauri (our next nearest Star at a distance of 4 LY away from us), in the night sky, you are seeing it: How it looks now, How it will look 4 years in the future, How it appeared 4 years in the past
- The Celestial Sphere is a real dome that surrounds the Earth. True or False?
- Briefly describe a major ASTRONOMICAL contribution made by each of the following people:
- Eratosthenes –
- Hipparchus –
- Ptolemy –
- Copernicus –
- Galileo –
- Briefly list and describe Kepler’s three laws of planetary motion.
- For what three major purposes did ancient astronomers use the sky?
- What is our universal address (from Earth to Universe)?
- Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe
- Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Local Group, Supercluster, Universe
- Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Supercluster, Universe
Short Answer /Essay Questions:
[The answer must include all relevant information, yet not include a lot of non-relevant information for full credit. Even though you will be referencing various resources, you need to compose your answer primarily in your own words. A completely (or heavily) copied response will also result in a deduction of points. A good rule of thumb would be to attempt to explain the question to a peer who has not taken your astronomy class.]
Answer in AT LEAST 5-7 complete sentences for full credit.
- What are the differences between the geocentric and heliocentric models of the solar system? Include the definition of each and their differences for full credit
- List the four main astronomical periods, and describe something important for astronomy that came out of each.
- Who were the astronomers who contributed to the demolition of the geocentric theory? What were their arguments against the geocentric theory?
Define the following terms:
- Solar system –
- Galaxy –
- cluster (of galaxies) –
- supercluster –
- universe –
- astronomy –
- astrology –
- constellation (modern and ancient definition) –
- Light Year (LY) –