In clinical settings, some of the most common questions that patients ask are: “Why do I have this?”, “What caused this disorder?”, and “Will it ever go away?” These emotional questions can be difficult to ask and to answer. However, for patients to come to terms with their diagnoses and adhere to treatment plans, they must have an understanding of factors that might have caused or continue to impact their disorders. As an advanced practice nurse, it is important that you are able to explain disorders, associated alterations and symptoms, and changes that might occur within your patients’ bodies.
- Review this week’s media presentation with Dr. Terry Buttaro. Reflect on the importance of developing an in-depth understanding of pathophysiology.
- Select a disorder from the following list:
o Adrenal Insufficiency (Addison’s disease)
o Cholelithiasis (gallstones)
o Colon cancer
o Cystic Fibrosis
o Nephrolithiasis (kidney stones)
o Parkinson’s disease
- Select one of the following patient factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior. Reflect on how that factor might impact your selected disorder, as well as potential associated alterations and symptoms.
- Think about the pathophysiology of the associated alterations, including the normal and altered cellular function. Consider both intra- and extra-cellular changes that occur.
Questions to be addressed in the paper
- A brief description of a patient scenario involving the disorder and factor you selected.
- Explain how the factor (one of the following patient factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior) might impact the disorder you selected, as well as potential associated alterations and symptoms.
- Explain the pathophysiology of the associated alterations including changes in cellular function.
- Summary with Conclusion
1) 2-3 pages (addressing the 4 questions above excluding the title page and reference page).
2) Kindly follow APA format for the citation and references! References should be between the period of 2011 and 2016. Please utilize the references at least three below as much as possible and the rest from yours.
3) Make headings for each question.
- Huether, S. E., & McCance, K. L. (2012).Understanding pathophysiology (Laureate custom ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
o Chapter 1, “Cellular Biology”
This chapter reviews cellular biology to establish a foundation for exploring the pathophysiology of disease. It also covers the structure and function of cellular components, cell-to-cell adhesions, cellular communication, cellular metabolism, membrane transport, the cell cycle, and tissues.
o Chapter 2, “Genes and Genetic Diseases”
This chapter explores genetic disorders and factors that impact genetic disorders. It also examines how mutations and chromosomal abnormalities lead to transmission of genetic disorders.
o Chapter 3, “Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology”
This chapter examines disorders related to cell adaptation, injury, and death. It also explores disorders associated with altered cellular and tissue function as a result of aging.
- Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2012g).Introduction to advanced pathopharmacology. Baltimore, MD: Author.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (n.d.). Retrieved August 10, 2012, fromhttp://www.cdc.gov
- WebMD. (2012). Medscape. Retrieved from http://www.medscape.com/
Do you want your assignment written by the best essay experts? Then look no further. Our team of experienced writers are on standby to deliver to you a quality written paper as per your specified instructions. Order Now, and enjoy an amazing discount!!