Week 2 Discussion: Critic of the Arts
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 3, 4
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Initial Post Instructions
Select a work of art from any of the chapters in our textbook, and write a response that analyzes the art through the lens of a descriptive critic, an interpretive critic, and an evaluative critic. What different things would these critics have to say? Use the following guidelines:
- Descriptive Critic: Address at least 3 different elements of art and/or principles of design.
- Interpretive Critic: This will require research so that you can understand the subject, meaning, and intent of the work.
- Evaluative Critic: Use the standards of perfection, insight, and inexhaustibility (as described in the text).
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least one peer. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification. Provide feedback on whether you agree or disagree with their criticism. Explain why. Build on their posts by providing additional insight of your own. If your peer selected the same artwork as you, make sure to address new point or develop existing points in more depth.
- Minimum of 2 posts (1 initial & 1 follow-up)
- Minimum of 2 sources cited (assigned readings/online lessons and an outside source)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the following link:
- Link (webpage): Discussion GuidelinesLinks to an external site.
Course Outcomes (CO): 1, 2, 3, 4
Due Date for Initial Post: By 11:59 p.m. MT Recommended by Wednesday
Due Date for Follow-Up Posts: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday
Posts must be on two separate days.
I have picked one of my favorite works of art, a copy of which is displayed in my living room, for this week’s discussion. A self-portrait of Frida Kahlo was created between 1925 and 1926 as a result of a string of life experiences. On September 17, 1925, Frida was traveling in a bus with her friend Alex when it collided into a street trolley vehicle. As a result of the severe injuries she sustained in the event, Frida needed 35 operations throughout her life. Kahlo started painting self-portraits and allegoric depictions of her psychological and physical wounds while she was in the hospital. “I paint myself because I am alone so much of the time and because I am the topic I know best,” she claimed.
It is obvious to notice that the famous print contains a wide variety of artistic components and design concepts. The combination of proportion, perspective, lines, texture, emphasis, color, and other elements creates this extraordinary and magnificent image. The most striking example is Kahlo’s softly modeled face, which demonstrates her interest in realism, as well as her exaggeratedly long neck and fingers, which demonstrate her admiration for Mannerist Italian painter Giovanni Bronzino. Your eyes are drawn to the center of the image, which represents the potent force of human beauty, due to the use of brilliant colors and a dark background. (Zelazco, A. n.d.).
Frida Kahlo de Rivera, a renowned contemporary artist and a woman painter, is widely known and celebrated as a feminist symbol due to her unique approach to life. In addition to her significant contributions to the art world, Kahlo is also recognized for her famous artworks such as “Two Fridas” and “Self-portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird,” both created in 1939. Kahlo’s paintings often reflect her mixed ancestry, with a German-Hungarian father and a Mexican mother of Spanish and Native American descent, through binary opposites.
You May Also Like This:
- HUMN 303N Week 1 Discussion 1: The Value of the Humanities
- NR394-10382 Week 7 Discussion: Presentation of Course Project: Part 3 Cultural population selected and why Health issue selected and why Highlight three or more key points from your poster Scholarly outside sources are included and credited on your poster.
- NR443-14471 Week 1 Discussion: Social Factors Go online to the U.S. Census Bureau at https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ (Links to an external site.) (*note, you will be using this website in the Week 2 assignment, so you can get started on collecting all the required data if desired)
- NR601 Week 1: Discussion Board – Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment Provide a brief 3-5 sentence summary of the components of the domain assessment*
- NR443 Week 7 Discussion: Communities and Disaster Preparedness
- NR 305 Week 2 Discussion: Assessment for Health Promotion
- NR443 Week 8 Social Media Discussion: Past, Present, and Future
- NURS 6053N Week 4 Discussion 1: Leadership Theories in Practice
- NR443 Week 1 Discussion: Social Factors
- NR443 Week 5 Social Media Discussion: Healthcare Policies and Population Health
- Research Theory 2016 week 4 discussion ( Good 1)
- NR443 Week 3 Social Media Discussion: Population Health Problems
- Performing Arts Subscription Models
- Discussion week 4
- characteristics of Asian arts
- Explain how the lack of autonomy for APRNs impact patients in rural populations?
- ACTION PLAN FOR INTEGRATING TECHNOLOGY INTO THE LANGUAGE ARTS CLASSROOM
- NR443-14471 Week 7 Discussion: Communities and Disaster Preparedness Explore your community and find an advertisement that represents helping community members be prepared for a disaster. Examples could be a billboard, poster at a bus stop, marquee sign, flyer, yard sign and more. Example: Sign advertising ‘free’ flu vaccinations at a local pharmacy.
- THREADED DISCUSSION: CHARACTERISTICS TO AVOID WHEN ATTEMPTING TO CREATE RAPPORT INTRODUCTION AND ALIGNMENT
- NR443-14471 Week 3 Social Media Discussion: Choose one of the following population health problems to focus on: Substance use and/or abuse Environmental health (air, water, ground, energy, climate, etc.) https://www3.epa.gov/myem/envmap/find.html (Links to an external site.) has a wealth of information Violence Abuse
- Engl112 Week 1: Descriptive Analysis Essay
- NR500 NP Week 5: Systems Theory and Practice Issues
- Challenges faced by the Cherokee people as they grappled with the U.S. government’s Indian removal policy.
- Domains of Rational Expressions Domains of Rational Expressions
- Discussion Questions
- Week 2 SOCS 185 Discuss Culture and Values Case Study
- Scientific Thinking
- Case Review 3 At Townsend’s arraignment hearing, his attorney moves for immediate dismissal of the charges, arguing entrapment. Do the police efforts described constitute entrapment? Does entrapment justify the dismissal of all charges against the accused? Rather than dismissal of charges, why not simply sanction those authorities responsible for the entrapment?
- week 3 assignment 2
- Critical Analysis Essay – Frankenstein