Fall 2015, Mid-term Exam
Part I. Multiple Choice. Each question is worth two (2) points for a total of 30 points. To mark your answer, please bold and underline the one most appropriate selection for each question.
- A sociologist defines society as a group of people who reside in a defined area, share a culture, andwho:
- work in the same industry
- speak different languages
- practice a recognized religion
- Which would a quantitative sociologists use to gather data?
- large survey
c.an in-depth interview
d.a review of television programs
- Which of these theories is most likely to look at the social world on a micro level?
- Structural functionalism
- Conflict theory
- Symbolic interactionism
- A measurement is considered ______ if it actually measures what it is intended to measure,according to the topic of the study.
- Why is choosing a random sample an effective way to select participants?
a.Participants do not know they are part of a study
- the researcher has no control over who is in the study
- It is larger than an ordinary sample
- Everyone has the same chance of being part of the study
- In a study, a group of 10-year-old boys are fed doughnuts every morning for a week and thenweighed to see how much weight they gained. Which factor is the dependent variable?
- the doughnuts
- the boys
- the duration of a week
- the weight gained
- The existence of social norms, both formal and informal, is one of the main things that inform________, otherwise known as a way to encourage social conformity.
- social control
- Cultural sanctions can also be viewed as ways that society:
- establishes leaders
- determines language
- regulates behavior
- determines laws
- What theoretical perspective views society as having a system of interdependent inherentlyconnected parts?
- conflict theory
- Organic solidarity is most likely to exist in which of the following types of societies?
- Mary works full-time at an office downtown while her young children stay at a neighbor’s house.She’s just learned that the childcare provider is leaving the country. Mary has succumbed to pressure tovolunteer at her church, plus her ailing mother-in-law will be moving in with her next month. Which ofthe following is likely to occur as Mary tries to balance her existing and new responsibilities?
- role strain
- self-fulfilling prophecy
- status conflict
- status strain
- Socialization, as a sociological term, describes:
- how people interact during social situations
- how people learn societal norms, beliefs, and values
- a person’s internal mental state when in a group setting
- the difference between introverts and extroverts
- Which of the following is a manifest function of schools?
- understanding when to speak up and when to be silent
- learning to read and write
- following a schedule
- knowing locker room etiquette
- What is an advantage of the McDonaldization of society?
- there is more variety of goods.
- there is less theft.
- there is more worldwide availability of goods.
- there is more opportunity for businesses.
- What is a group whose values, norms, and beliefs come to serve as a standard for one’s ownbehavior?
- secondary group
- formal organization
- reference group
- primary group
Part II: Essay questions. Please respond to the following four (4) questions. Each question is worth ten (10) points for a total of 20 points. Please type your response below the question you are intending to answer.
- Do you tend to place more value on qualitative or quantitative research? Why? Does it matter that topic is being studied? Why or why not?
- What are some examples of cultural lag that are present in your life? Do you think technology affects culture positively or negatively? Explain.
- Based on your observations, when are adolescents more likely to listen to their parents or to their peer groups when making decisions? What types of dilemmas lend themselves toward one social agent over another?
- How has technology changed your primary and secondary groups? Do you have more (and separate) primary groups due to online connectivity?
For a custom paper on the above topic, place your order now!
What We Offer:
- On-time delivery guarantee
- PhD-level writers
- Automatic plagiarism check
- 100% money-back guarantee
- 100% Privacy and Confidentiality
- High Quality custom-written paper