For this discussion question, first read the case study on pages 138 – 166 of the textbook. Public Policy Praxis: A Case Approach for understanding Policy an AnalysisClemons, R.S., &McBeth, M. K. (2009). Analyze case study in utilizing the Five Step Approach provided by the authors. The five steps are the following:
.After addressing these five steps, answer discussion question number 8 on page 161, which states:
Did the five-step model help you understand the problem, and help you organize and structure your research and a potential response in a way that made the task more manageable, and your analysis more thorough? Or did this problem reveal possible limitations of the five step approach?
The “Greater Yellowstone Interagency Brucellosis Committee” has hired you to conduct a policy analysis of the situation and come up with policy recommendations. You are to do the following:
Define the problem and determine its causes
- How will you define the problem when the interests and values of the interested parties are so disparate?
- Who are the major stakeholders here? What are the values and interests of each of the stakeholders? How do you decide which stakeholders to include or exclude? What are the stories of the major stakeholders?
- How does your view or power structures lead to the problem definition? Who is your client here?
Establish criteria to evaluate alternatives
- What are your major evaluation criteria?
- How are your criteria tied to major stakeholders? If stakeholders have conflicting criteria, how will you reconcile this?
Generate policy alternatives
- What are some possible policy alternatives?
- Do these alternatives eliminate the problem without favoring one group over another?
Evaluate and select policy
- What policies do you recommend and why? A table showing the pros and cons would be helpful
- Which criteria did you use to weight criteria? Was your decision ultimately based on some view of power and democracy?
Evaluate adopted policy
- Detail a plan to evaluate each recommended policy. What problems do you anticipate in evaluating these policies?
For a custom paper on the above topic or any other topic, place your order now!
What Awaits you:
On-time delivery guarantee
Masters and PhD-level writers
Automatic plagiarism check
100% Privacy and Confidentiality
High Quality custom-written papers