Write a 250- to 375-word paper that answers the Ch. 3 Malfunction Junction Case Study case study questions.
Needs to be done in APA, NO PLAGIARISM, LEGIT REFERENCES, GOOD GRAMA AND SPELLING QUALITY, WORD COUNT, NEED TO BE DONE ON TIME!!!!!!
REFERENCE PAPER DOWN
Chapter 3 Police Organization and Operation
I. Malfunction Junction
Junction City, a rapidly growing community of 150,000 residents, is an agriculturally based area located in the center of the state, about 20 miles from the ocean. The city gains a population of 10,000 to 20,000 visitors a day during the summer months, when ocean recreation is a popular activity. Owing to local growth in the meat-packing industry, the city’s demographics are changing rapidly, especially its blue-collar population. The downtown area of the city has slowly deteriorated over the past few years, resulting in increased crime and disorder. A property tax cap has resulted in reduced revenues to local jurisdictions, and the recent recession has taken a substantial toll on the city’s budget; the result has been significant reductions in staffing. The police department now has 100 sworn and 35 nonsworn personnel, and has experienced its share of budget cuts and staff reductions. The chief of police of 10 years’ duration retired recently, leaving an agency that is still very traditional in nature and has a growing number of desk-bound administrative personnel and degree of rank structure (corporal, sergeant, lieutenant, captain, deputy chief, commander, and chief). The morale of the department is poor because of the increases in workload resulting from tourism and agricultural expansion. You have been hired as the new police chief. As a result of the current situation, the city manager and council are calling for an emergency meeting with you to discuss the future of the department. They explain that at a recent council retreat, they heard a consultant’s presentation on the implementation and operation of community policing and problem solving. They are now seeking your views on this strategy, its potential for Junction City, and how you might approach its implementation. (Note: They emphasize that you have to explain how you might reorganize the police department to move away from its current traditional organization, with only one police facility and its administration-and rank-laden status.)
Questions for Discussion
1. Do you envision any problems with traditional-thinking officers and supervisors still working in the organization? If so, how will you handle their concerns?
2. Using the seven elements of police organizational structure described in this chapter, where does it appear that you would need to reorganize the agency, especially to accommodate Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving (COPPS)?
3. Would you anticipate that the officers’ workload would be reduced or increased under the COPPS strategy?
4. What types of information would you use to evaluate the progress of your community policing initiative?
II. Sins and the City
Officers assigned to your district have been responding to a number of noise complaints, reckless driving incidents, and fight calls in the area of 7500 Commercial Row. This area contains a number of restaurants, bars, and several strip malls that attract juveniles and young adults. Within the past week, there have also been three gang-related drive-by shootings and seven gas drive-offs. A majority of the underage adults are attracted to the area by a dance club located in one of the strip mall centers and two all-night fast food restaurants. All three locations attract large crowds that loiter and drink alcohol in their parking lots. The owners of the shopping centers and restaurants have also complained about thousands of dollars in vandalism caused by the loitering youths.
For a custom paper on the above topic, place your order now!
What We Offer:
• On-time delivery guarantee
• PhD-level writers
• Automatic plagiarism check
• 100% money-back guarantee
• 100% Privacy and Confidentiality
• High Quality custom-written paper
You May Also Like This:
- Malfunction Junction Case Study
- Malfunction Junction
- Officer Blake, a senior officer and vocal opponent of community policing, is an informal department leader. You decide to ride along with him on a patrol shift. He’s an honest guy who tells you exactly what is on his mind. Officer Blake was the department shooting champion and unhappy with the cutbacks in firearms training.
- favoritism and corruption
- Police Studies
- Searching the Cushions for Change
- Justin Ross Harris case study
- CASE STUDY PROJECT FOR NURSING
- case study
- Donna, Kirk and Ashley: Case study
- Case study John Hunter
- Case Study, Chapter 67, Management of Patients With Cerebrovascular Disorders What principles of nursing management should the nurse provide the patient during the acute stage of the ischemic stroke based on the assessment findings from the case study?
- NR601 Week 2: COPD Case Study Part 1 Briefly and concisely summarize the history and physical (H&P) findings as if you were presenting it to your preceptor using the pertinent facts from the case.
- Case study—Paid Time Off (PTO) Policies
- Special Problems and Challenges and the Future of Policing In America
- Judge Rejects New York’s Stop-and-Frisk Policy
- Case Study of Behavioral Disorders
- Case Study on Mistaken Identity
- Health Care Delivery systems Case Study
- Week 2 SOCS 185 Discuss Culture and Values Case Study
- practical case study (six metaphors of organization)
- Mr. and Mrs. J case study
- Case study.
- Case Study on Ethical Decision Making
- portfolio case study
- Law Case Study
- Case Study: Terrorists and Extremists
- Prepare journal entries to record the transactions, making the following alternative assumptions as to the organizations measurement focus:
- UMUC Haircuts Case Study
- Final Case Study: Consulting for the Caring Angel Hospital