In this Application, you will develop skills in scholarly critique by completing a journal article critique.
Full instructions for this Assignment can be found in the Journal Article Critique handout in this week’s Learning Resources.
Journal Article Critique
Scholarly critique is an important aspect of your role as scholar-practitioner. Scholarly critique takes on a number of forms, of which peer review and critical reviews of the literature are two common examples. There are many examples of why it is important to develop good skills in scholarly critique.
- In the peer-review process commonly used by editors of journals, scholars review research prior to publication to ensure quality, relevance, and contribution to the field.
- The system of tenure that is common in traditional colleges and universities depends on a process of peer review by departmental colleagues. At some point in time, you may be on such a committee (at a university or in some other setting) where you have to critically evaluate a colleague for promotion.
- Because there is no such thing as the perfect research study, scholarly critique is critical to understanding the limitations of research studies and how those limitations could be addressed in future studies.
- The critical literature review article requires good critical evaluation skills to help other scientists understand the current state of knowledge in a particular field of study in terms of what we know and what still needs to be more fully understood.
- The skills you will develop in the critical evaluation of articles will also help you become a better reviewer of your own drafts. In the short term, this better self-assessment will strengthen the work you submit to dissertation committee members. In general, this approach helps researchers become their own “skeptics/critics,” thereby developing more valid research designs and research write-ups that can better stand up to peer scrutiny.
- Your dissertation requires a scholarly critique of the literature, similar to a critical literature review. Thus, you need to understand how to train yourself to be a critical reader of the research. If you want to become an expert on a particular topic, you also need to become an expert on critically dissecting and evaluating the research studies in that area of study.
- The scholar-practitioner model is one that relies on evidence-based practice. You are being trained to be critical consumers of literature so that you can make key decisions regarding best practices in the field. Understanding best practices requires one to be able to critically evaluate study findings and determine whether those findings will remain valid in “real-world” settings.
- In the dissertation process, your committee is essentially a team of peer reviewers who provide input to help you achieve the best possible research project that demonstrates doctoral level scholarship.
For a custom paper on the above topic, place your order now!
What We Offer:
• On-time delivery guarantee
• PhD-level writers
• Automatic plagiarism check
• 100% money-back guarantee
• 100% Privacy and Confidentiality
• High Quality custom-written paper