Cultural Diversity and Teamwork in Healthcare Ethics
Consider the scenarios given below and answer the questions listed after each scenario. Justify your answers with appropriate research and reasoning.
In the past, paternalism among healthcare providers was an accepted way of practicing medicine. Patients sought care from physicians and accepted their opinions and treatment choices without question. However, in today’s healthcare industry, there has been a shift away from paternalism as patients become active in their treatment choices and work as a team with their healthcare professionals. In the light of these facts, answer the following questions:
- What do you feel has caused this shift and why?
- Do you think this shift is for the better? How do you think this team approach to care can affect a patient’s care choices?
With increasing diversity in the United States, a question has arisen regarding what accommodations should be made to assist the diverse population. Some groups or individuals feel in order to address the increasingly diverse population; we must employ a medical staff that is reflective of a community’s population. For example, if half of the population in a community is Hispanic, the medical office staff should be comprised of Hispanic workers.
- Do you agree or disagree with this solution for addressing diversity in healthcare and why or why not? How would you address these diversity issues of the Unites States?
- In the United States healthcare system, disparities such as socioeconomic, racial, and ethnic can be found. What do you feel are the most important disparities that need to be addressed in the healthcare industry? How do the disparities affect individuals in terms of healthcare and what do you feel is the best course of action to remedy each disparity and why?
Compile the summary and answers to the above questions in a 3- to 6-page Microsoft Word document.
Cite any sources in APA format.
Rationing Issues in Healthcare
The concept of rationing healthcare is dealt with on a daily basis. Healthcare rationing in the United States exists in various forms. Access to private health insurance is rationed based on price and ability to pay. Those not able to afford a health insurance policy are unable to acquire one, and sometimes, insurance companies prescreen applicants for pre-existing medical conditions and either decline to cover the applicant or apply additional price and medical coverage conditions. Access to state Medicaid programs is restricted by income and asset limits through a means test and to other federal and state eligibility regulations. Health maintenance organizations (HMOs) that commonly cover the bulk of the population restrict access to treatment via financial and clinical access limits.
Using the South University Online Library, find a current article (no more than two years old) on rationing issues in healthcare. The article should also be peer-reviewed.
Note: Peer-reviewed refers to articles reviewed and approved by authors’ professional peers who are experts on the topic being discussed.
After reading your article, summarize its contents and the main theme discussed. Then, answer the following questions:
- How is rationing defined and what criteria are offered to ration care?
- Discuss and apply at least one of the major ethical theories to the issue and the ethical decision-making process to the issue.
- What do you feel the impact of the issue in the article will be on the healthcare industry? What can be done to ensure rationing is done fairly?
- Discuss the major codes of ethics of the stakeholders involved in the issue and how these codes will affect the decision-making process and the final decision.
- Examine and discuss the impact that the issue and the final decision will have on the stakeholders involved.
- Discuss any potential policy implications for the issue and the final decision.
Compile the summary and answers to the above questions in a 7- to 10-page Microsoft Word document.
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.
For a custom paper on the above topic, place your order now!
What We Offer:
• On-time delivery guarantee
• PhD-level writers
• Automatic plagiarism check
• 100% money-back guarantee
• 100% Privacy and Confidentiality
• High Quality custom-written paper