Multiple Choice: A counterclockwise rotating storm in the tropical Northern Hemisphere that features maximum sustained wind speeds of 60 mph would be classified as a ___________.
- Tropical wave
- Tropical depression
- Tropical storm
Multiple Choice: Where would you expect to measure the strongest winds inside a hurricane?
- In the eye
- In the eyewall
- In the spiral rain bands
- Within the hurricane’s upper-level divergent outflow
Multiple Choice: Why do hurricanes not form at the equator?
- The Coriolis force is too large, causing air to rotate too fast
- The Coriolis force is too small, preventing the air from rotating
- The centrifugal force is too large, causing air to rotate too fast
- The centrifugal force is too small, preventing the air from rotating
Choose All That Apply: Which of the following environmental conditions are not favorable for hurricane development?
- Strong vertical wind shear
- Weak vertical wind shear
- Cold sea-surface temperatures
- The dry air that can be ingested into the storm’s circulation
Multiple Choice: What type of vertical motion would you expect within the eye of a hurricane?
- ascending air
- descending air
- no vertical motion
- oscillating areas of ascending and descending air
Multiple Choice: What process within a hurricane provides fuel for the storm to intensify?
- The release of latent heat into the environment due to condensation intensifies updrafts within the storm
- The absorption of latent heat from the environment due to evaporation intensifies updrafts within the storm
- The release of latent heat into the environment due to sublimation intensifies updrafts within the storm
- The absorption of latent heat from the environment due to melting intensifies updrafts within the storm
Choose All That Apply: A hurricane is most likely to move in what two directions?
Multiple Choice: Which of the following locations is the least likely spot for a hurricane to develop?
- The tropical Atlantic Ocean
- The tropical West Pacific Ocean
- The Indian Ocean
- The high-latitude North Pacific Ocean
Multiple Choice: Imagine that a hurricane moves northward and makes landfall in Mobile, AL. Which of the following cities would be most likely to experience the strongest storm surge? (Hint: It may be helpful to pull up a map to answer this question).
- Mobile, AL
- New Orleans, LA
- Panama City, FL
- Biloxi, MS
Multiple Choice: How is the intensity of a hurricane classified?
- Based on the strongest sustained wind speeds measured within the storm
- Based on the average sustained wind speeds measured within the storm
- Based on the intensity of tornadoes that occur within the storm
- Based on the severity of all hazards observed within the storm
Click below to purchase the full answer at $10