Choose All That Apply: Which of the following ingredients are absolutely necessary for the development of thunderstorms?
- Wind shear
Multiple Choice: Which of the following answers is not an example of wind shear?
- The wind speed changes as you increase in altitude above the Earth’s surface
- The wind speed and direction do not change as you increase in altitude above the Earth’s surface
- The wind speed and direction change as you increase in altitude above the Earth’s surface
- The wind direction changes as you increase in altitude above the Earth’s surface
Multiple Choice: A thunderstorm is 10 miles away. If you see a flash of lightning, approximately how long will it be until you hear the thunder?
- 0 seconds
- 5 seconds
- 10 seconds
- 50 seconds
Multiple Choice: Which of the following is not a characteristic of an air-mass thunderstorm?
- There is no vertical wind shear
- The updraft of the storm is located in the same location as the downdraft
- The environment features a change in wind speed with altitude but not wind direction
- The life cycle of the storm lasts 15–30 minutes
Multiple Choice: What type of thunderstorm features two separate downdrafts?
- dry thunderstorm
- air-mass thunderstorm
- a derecho
- supercell thunderstorm
Choose All That Apply: Which of the following are defining characteristics of a severe thunderstorm?
- Hail greater than 1 inch in diameter
- Wind speeds below 58 mph
Choose All That Apply: Which two locations are the most likely spots for a tornado to develop?
- Within a supercell thunderstorm
- At the leading edge of a line of thunderstorms
- Within an air-mass thunderstorm
- At the back edge of a line of thunderstorms
Multiple Choice: How are the intensities of tornadoes estimated?
- Based on direct measurements of their wind speeds
- Based on their path length
- Based on their pathwidth
- Based on the damage they cause
Multiple Choice: Which part of a supercell thunderstorm is currently hypothesized to play an important role in the development of a tornado?
- The overshooting top
- The forward-flank downdraft
- The rear-flank downdraft
- The funnel cloud
Multiple Choice: The vertical stretching of air columns induced by the _________ within a supercell thunderstorm leads to ___________ in the rate of rotation of those air columns.
- updraft; an increase
- updraft; a decrease
- forward-flank downdraft; an increase
- forward-flank downdraft; a decrease
Click below to purchase the full answer at $10